Total Pageviews

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Parliamentary politeness goes too far.....

I watched the Diamond geezer being 'questioned' by MPs today. At one point, in response to a fairly simple question, he started on a long and tortuous answer. When the committee muttered a protest, he raised his forefinger and said "If I may - this is important....." and carried on.

Where was the chairman of the committee? Why didn't he interrupt with a well-placed: 'No, Mr Diamond, WE'LL tell YOU what's important. Answer the question.'

Result: Diamond walked away without giving answers to any of the questions we all want to put. I despair. I utterly despair. Has Parliament lost its cojones? If MPs can't ask exercise their authority and demand straight answers, we'll never get to the bottom of the banking fiasco. On this showing, I certainly don't trust MPs to conduct an enquiry. Hand it over to the police and the judges - preferably from outside London.

No comments:

Post a Comment