Total Pageviews

Thursday 12 July 2012

It's All My Fault!

Yes, I admit it: the state of the country, the coalition, the Olympics fiasco, the bank collapse, the Eurozone, youth unemployment - it's all my fault!
I had the nerve to be born just after the second World War ended and just as the Welfare State was being set up. Think of all the free vaccinations, orange juice and cold liver oil I got. Why, I even got my tonsils out for nowt - well, actually, most of us did in those days!

I was born into a room and kitchen in Govan where 5 of us lived - it was cosy! Then we were 'decanted' (that was the word that was used - like fine wine. eh?!) to a big new flat in Pollok.

I got a free education till I was 18 and a grant - yes, children, they gave me money to send me from my council estate to a university. I managed to get 2 degrees and a diploma before I was done. The next bit isn't so cheery: 20 years as a teacher at a time when teachers were dramatically badly paid followed by 15 years as an adviser. We were better paid latterly, but then I paid tax at 30%. I reckon in both jobs I worked an average 55 hour week. I also did a few extra bits, like producing school shows, organising school trips, giving up weekends to run in service, etc.  Just the same as a lot of folk who work in the public service.

I also managed to buy a place to live - not a 'property'! - and I did my best to support my family too.

Still, now I've reached retirement, I'm really coining it in! I have 2 pensions: I paid into them both, of course - maybe about 12% of my wages for my entire working life - and I'm still paying tax at 20%. I also pay vat and council tax - but, joy o joy - I get a winter fuel allowance, free prescriptions and a free bus pass. Which is just as well, since I'm getting b*gg*r all interest from my savings.

But I'm living too long. I expect to be looked after by the welfare state I've paid for. I want to live on in my own home even if that means home care being provided. I'm sucking the life out of the country.

I suppose it's all about priorities: I see the contempt shown to the elderly and disabled (and we're all likely to end up both) and the utter fixation on yoof culchur, and I hold out no great hopes for the future.....

2 comments: