Total Pageviews

Thursday 12 July 2012

And another thing!

At the library today, I was filling in our timesheet and said to my buddy Charles: O look, it's the glorious 12th of July! Yes, said Charles: Nice day for a walk!
I wish people could take Charles's attitude: have a laugh at it. Instead, I've discovered half my Facebook friends are wishing me a happy 12th of July and posting videos of flute bands and the other half are roundly denouncing the Orange Order and all it stands for.

Agreed, it's a fairly primitive way to assert the Proddies' supremacy over the Caffliks, but the marching season is very short, there's little criminality these days and gey few folk actually subscribe to this nonsense. If I have a reservation, it's about the number of young women now involved in the Orange Order.

I can only hope education will triumph in the end: schools will keep on pushing tolerance - of all groups - and then we can all ignore this kind of tribalism.

2 comments:

  1. we can keep trying but sometimes that's not enough - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/shots-fired-police-during-belfast-rioting-073809158.html

    ReplyDelete