Total Pageviews

Monday 20 August 2012

Daddy, I've fallen for a monster.....

I keep on hearing it on the radio and it's creeping me out. My unease with this song came to a head when I read Joe's Best Music in the World blog - have a look - it's a good read!

Joe writes: Loving bad men has been the theme of some of the biggest and best songs of recent times including Stooshe's current UK hit Black Heart with its wonderful lyric "Daddy I've fallen for a monster".  The singer goes on to describe the guy thus: "He's big and he's bad"..."the best I've ever had."

See, I've known too many women who've fallen for a monster and it's not so wonderful. They stay loyal to the monster, despite being beaten, raped, subjected to mental torture - and despite being left to fend for themselves (and their kids) while the monster is in the jail. They age fast, these women. Fear does that to a person.

I'm thinking of my great-nieces (aged 3 and 4) when I say we're sending out the wrong message to girls when songs glorify this kind of man. I want us to bring up generations of women who can rely on themselves, are resilient in the face of life's dramas - big and little, They need to be pumped up on self-respect, not dependent on some bad man. For her own sake, I hope the lassie in the song has a daddy with a pump-action shotgun. He doesn't need to use it but it might frighten the monster away!


No comments:

Post a Comment