Total Pageviews

Monday 13 August 2012

A word a day

Just learned a new word, after encountering it 4 times in one day in a book and a magazine:

solipsism
[sol-ip-siz-uhm] 
noun
1. Philosophy: the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist.
2. Extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one's feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption.
 
Okay, now everyone can tell me they already knew this word - indeed have always known it and constantly pepper their conversation with it.
 
I can see a use for the first definition but somehow I can't hear myself throwing out the adjective in an insult: "Why, you solipsistic sod, you!"
 
It comes to us, of course, from the USA. I'm going to file it along with another new American word I learned last week: ouster.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, me too.

    I'd hate to argue with you, but are you sure about this being from the US? I was accused of being solipsistic about 30 years ago and my feet were firmly planted in British soil at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard anyone use it here and suspect it's one of those fashionable words that will disappear in six months. At least there's a place for 'ouster' - using solipsistic instead of egotistic is just pretending you're related to Will Self!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaggieR - you, solipsistic? You not wanting to argue?

    ReplyDelete