Total Pageviews

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Can we can the sirens, please?

For some reason, in the past year or two my wee bit of East Ren has turned into emergency central.

For example, this week from Sunday lunchtime until Wednesday at midnight I counted 17 emergency vehicles on our fairly quiet road with full mee-maws going. Seventeen - and I've been out part of that time.  We have a police station 200m away and the Victoria about 4km from here. Don't know where the nearest fire station is. Don't know where the mee-maws come from.

I'm very aware of noise and light pollution: at one time, I lived in a schoolhouse on Islay in the middle of nowhere and that spoiled me. I don't sleep well and admit I'm sensitive to noise. One of the reasons I moved to this wee complex (I'm not allowed to call it a scheme) is the quiet and the absence of street lights in our wee bit.

Overall, this has to be one of the quietest areas of Central Scotland, so why the over-use of sirens? How many roads do you need to clear in East Ren at midnight on a Wednesday? - or 5am on a Sunday? - yes, I've heard them at both times!

Could it depend on something as simple as who is on duty in the ambulance/fire/police crews? Is it an over-reaction - I mean, panic? Boy-o-boy, I hope not. Or is it just a case of 'we're emergency services - it's what we do!'?

Whatever it is, can we can it, please?

3 comments:

  1. We are having a little trouble down at this end of the street involving one particular family. Police have already carried out a couple of raids, and have had a few swoops of the area, so perhaps some of the noise is down to them... or they may be just keen to get back to the polis station for their bacon butties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief! Do I hear an asbo coming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have also had complaints down here in the Brighton area about this too! Too many "emergency vehicles" using the siren when not needed, e.g to clear traffic ahead or approaching lights.

    ReplyDelete