Total Pageviews

Friday 29 November 2013

Clutha

It's 05.30 and I'm still awake, a combination of insomnia and anxiety about what's happening 4 miles from my house at the Clutha, where a police helicopter has crashed on the roof of a packed pub.

In the 6 hours since the crash, it's become clear to me and sadly the families involved that the crew of three on the helicopter are probably dead. There may also be customers of the Clutha trapped in the partially collapsed building. I can only hope they get out alive. My MP Jim Murphy was one of the first at the Clutha after the crash and he has described eloquently and modestly what he found and what he did. Like the other people around, he ran towards the building - not away, as any sane person would do. The Fire Brigade spokesperson has described what they are doing to shore up the building and a spokesperson for Police Scotland has also described the situation the emergency services are dealing with.

So what's on twitter? Yes, there's recognition of what a difficult situation this is and of what has been done so far. But also there's - already - a bit of narking: Why haven't the police...? Why didn't the emergency services...? Someone should have...

So let's think of how most of us react in an emergency. I know how I am. Fkn useless. My elderly neighbour once rang my bell on a Sunday evening at teatime. She was blue round the lips and collapsed as I opened the door. The guy upstairs is a retired GP. Did I call for him? Did I take steps to make sure my neighbour's airway was clear. Not a bit of it. I rushed off to get the phone and dialled 999, leaving the neighbour lying on the steps. Got through to the ambulance people and listened while the operator tried to make me keep calm while we waited for the ambulance crew to arrive at our door. At one point, I tried to move the neighbour into a more comfortable position. By pure chance, that dislodged the bit of chicken that had got stuck in her throat. She later told me this happened a lot. Who knew?

That experience taught me one thing: emergency services people are a breed apart. The paramedics arrived at our house within 10 minutes expecting to find a heart attack victim and were kindness itself when they worked out this 80 year old had just choked on her dinner. They checked her out thoroughly and reassured me at the same time. Then they went off on another call.

I couldn't do their job. I like adventure in life but just imagine what it's like to set off in your ambulance not knowing what's waiting when you're called out. It is absolutely not acceptable for the public who have never done their job and have no idea what it consists of to bitch about how the emergency services do it.

Sadly, the case of the woman who was trapped in a mineshaft in Galston - the only case in recent years likely to become a scandal - risks overshadowing the work of emergency services. And, of course, the vast majority of emergency services personnel had no say in how that particular case was conducted. They just turn up day after day and do their job conscientiously and with sympathy for those of us who need their help.




No comments:

Post a Comment