Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 May 2013

Afghanistan

Three more young men are dead. Six of their colleagues are in hospital recovering from horrible wounds. Is there anything left to be said about Afghanistan, IEDs and the presence of UK troops there?

I'd probably have a lot to say if I was the mother or partner of one of these young men. As it is, I feel helpless. I don't want our young people being killed and injured in a war that seems to have nothing to do with the UK. I believe our people are only there so that the US can boast it has the support of other nations. And the UK so loves to be loved by the US, it looks as if we'll do anything they ask.

It looks to me as if people don't recognise that the idea of the 'single-parent' family is not new. For as long as there have been wars - world wars, Korean war, Vietnam war, Falklands war, Iraq war, Afghan war - there have been children deprived of their fathers and women deprived of their men. Not to mention combatants surviving with awful injuries and post-traumatic stress syndrome. And none of them sure they could count on the support of governments when the war was over.

Just don't show me the serious, concerned face of David Cameron when deaths happen. If government cared that much, the troops would be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment