Total Pageviews

Friday 21 March 2014

Goggle it!

Stacey at the hairdresser's was trying to tell me about a TV programme she's really enjoying: "It's dead funny," she said. "There's a posh couple on it that are always pissed. Google something it's called." Stacey is mid-20s and very up to the minute. I call her my media adviser: if it wasn't for Stacey I wouldn't know what the hell is happening in the world of entertainment. Her shampoo boy Gavin is about 17. He defers to Stacey: "It's not Google, he said, "It's something like that though."

"Gogglebox," said I. They nodded in agreement. I've watched it too. We all agreed on most things: the posh couple are a laugh, never without a glass of something in their hand but are they ever sober enough to run their B&B? The two gay hairdressers are so nice Stacey would like to be adopted by them. The two mad women in Brixton made me laugh out loud, especially when they were watching One Born Every Minute. And I loved the reactions to Noel Edmonds, Ed Millband and Torvil & Dean - they should all be made to watch this series and learn from it.

I do find a few things a bit worrying: the wee lassie who is always in trouble at school, does she ever have homework or can we take it she's done it and a couple of hours of telly with the family is her reward? And the lassie with the long black hair who is looking for a job is obviously too bright to be sitting about at home - why is she not at school or college getting an education? The Asian dad and his two sons are good judges of the TV programmes they're watching but where are their womenfolk? What are they watching I wonder? Does the long-haired boyfriend ever talk or just roll his eyes whenever the German guy speaks?

And most of all, I suspect the reaction of Stacey and Gavin to the title Gogglebox is a pretty good indication that this format and in fact the whole concept of the family sitting together on the settee watching the same programme was the invention of an old person. Most young people just don't watch TV like this. For every family of four sitting together in the livingroom, there are two watching the telly, but a third on the phone and the other using the iPad. Still, the concept of Gogglebox is very entertaining. Just don't force me to watch the programmes they're watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment