Total Pageviews

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Support Fenwick Deli!

I went to Fenwick today to meet someone for lunch at the hotel and very nice it was too. I always forget these days with the 'new' road how fast the journey from my house to Fenwick is so, as usual, I got there early. Instead of sitting in the hotel carpark freezing, I doubled back and paid a visit to the Fenwick Deli on the village main street. I've passed it a few times and had heard the story of the man who has achieved his dream of opening a fine food shop in the village.

The book group is coming to my house for lunch on Friday and I'd already decided I would give them a very simple dish Nan and I had in Fuerteventura: cheese, ham, salami and olives.

 
So I got Brie de Meaux, a hard cheese from Cork I can't remember the name of, Brunswick ham, Serrano, Italian salami, olives stuffed with almonds, olives marinated in chilis, a red pepper dip and a huge jar of chili jam to go with it. All locally sourced - the chili jam is made by a woman who lives round the corner.


They had lovely bread but I resisted because it wouldn't keep so I'll get the bread from Whole Foods on Friday morning. The cheeses are now sitting out and they smell great. By Friday they should be walking off the table unaided!

Total cost: 25 quid - for a meal for 6 people.

The Deli also has a sitt-inerry and a sit-ootery and serves good coffee, soup and snacks. In fact, we may have our next lunch there - if it's stopped snowing by then and the temperature has risen above zero!

Good luck to these folk in their business. And do visit them if you're passing!

No comments:

Post a Comment