Total Pageviews

Monday 28 January 2013

Dear Reena...

...Just a quick note to let you know I still miss you.

It's been 15 months since you died and I don't think I've got over it - or will get over it.

You were the perfect example of what I hope we can all be: you were one of many children of a Lanarkshire minister and trained as a primary teacher despite your father's early death. You married Ernst, a Jewish boy from the Kindertransport, and you saw him through a great career as an engineer with Scottish Power and a fairly early death from cancer. Early on, you discovered you couldn't have children of your own so you adopted not one but three and they've all done well in life. You took in Ernst's mother who had also left Belgium to escape the Nazis.You re-trained as a secondary English teacher and were one of the best-read, most hard-working people I've ever met. You were always open to new ideas and always questioned what people offered you as 'truth'.

Sometimes, I hear something said and think 'Reena will love that'. I read a book or hear a Radio 4 talk and wish I could pass it on to you.

Most of all, I resent the fact you were taken away too soon. You and I knew Russian and could appreciate how well Gorbachov spoke it. You and I could complain about Sarkozy's approach to politics but marvel at his excellent French. I don't have many friends left who can do that.

Thank you for being my friend for 25 years. I wish you were still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment