Total Pageviews

Saturday 22 December 2012

Enough with the petitions!

I've counted them: I've had 23 requests from friends in the last 6 days to sign petitions.

I should make it clear I am concerned about what's happening in the Middle East. I also hate what happened in Newtown. And I'm not too impressed with the UK's presence in Afghanistan, or the way the Coalition is victimising the disabled.

But. And this is a big but. (No pun intended). No petition anyone signs up to on Facebook will make the slightest difference to any of these issues.

If you really feel strongly, march on behalf of the people of Palestine and send money to http://www.palestinecampaign.org/. If you want the UK to get out of Afghanistan, lobby your MP, MSP and MEP. If you are alarmed at the way disabled people in the UK are being picked on, join the Labour party, pay your dues and make your views known.

I'm not sure what we can do about US guns laws, since these are outwith UK jurisdiction and frankly none of our business.

But stop annoying me with requests to sign petitions. These achieve nothing, even if they make you feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment