Total Pageviews

Sunday 12 April 2015

People, please!

                

This is my lovely Italian suite. It's about 20 years old, and in excellent condition because it was hardly used. I tried selling it on Gum Tree. No takers. McTear's offered me 30 quid for it. They would probably sell it on at auction for £300. I offered it for nowt on Facebook. Zilch. So then I decided to offer it for free on Gum Tree (Glasgow area).

I got 119 replies in 36 hours. 

About a third of those were from dealers. One cheeky chappie wanted me to deliver it to a place in Essex. Dream on, pal. Another third roughly wanted to come and see it, despite the fact it was going for nothing and I'd made it clear in the ad it was in storage and would have to be accepted sight unseen. Another third wanted to come and pick it up the next day. Same problem. A few folk offered me money but didn't say how much. 

I narrowed the 119 down to 4, and sent polite wee 'sorry' messages to the rest. I put the 4 in rank order. Anyone in need? A young woman graduate setting up home for the first time was my first choice. Been there. Second choice: a 70 year old woman. My age group. Well, why not? Then a guy who clearly knew about furniture and had a big house. Then a woman who wrote a nice message and was trying to furnish a flat on jobseekers' allowance.

Number one fessed up she didn't actually have a flat so couldn't agree to accept the suite on the date I specified. The second has had a stroke and is in hospital. I'm on to number three now. Keith. We'll see what happens. I could be trawling through my waste basket for a few weeks yet. 

Why don't I just give it to charity? They only take furniture with fire labels on it. My suite is in storage (I think I've said that before) and I have no idea if it has fire labels or not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment