Total Pageviews

Thursday 5 March 2015

You say potato



We had coffee in an Italian restaurant today. It's a great place. Family owned. Very relaxed. Good service. Great coffee. Lovely meals. Does takeaways. It's always busy. It also has a good deli section, so as we were leaving I had a look at the shelves in case I could get tagliatelle (I pronounce it ta'liatelle) which I forgot to get when I was shopping yesterday. There was every kind of pasta but no tagliatelle.

I said to the lassie behind the counter:
- Do you have ta'liatelle?
- Do you mean Italian sausage? It's there. (She pointed to it in the glass case).
- Em, no. Ta'liatelle. You know, pasta.
- O, you mean taGliatelle, she said.
- Yeah, ta'liatelle, said I.

She looked at me kind of puzzled and then looked at the shelves behind her.

- TaGliatelle. TaGliatelle. What does it look like again? she asked.
- Thicker than spaghetti or linguine. It usually comes in wee circles, said I, pathetically drawing wee circles on my hand.

She reached up to a high shelf and took down a box, which she showed to a colleague. They had a wee confab and then she came over to me.

- He says they huvny got taGliatelle. She held up the box. Will that do?

I'd have taken grass cuttings by then just to get out of there. It was of course exactly what I was looking for.

Back home, I googled the pronunciation of tagliatelle. Naturally, I was right.

Questions. How come I managed to find the only non Italian working in that restaurant? And how come nobody in the Italian family who own the place and work there had told her how to pronounce taGliatelle?


No comments:

Post a Comment