Total Pageviews

Monday 28 April 2014

Marriage? Hello or just hell?

Paul Simon and his missus got lifted by the polis in Connecticut at the weekend:


Apparently, they had a bit of a tiff and both ended up being arrested. It was a 'rare argument' - not rare in the Glasgow sense of a rerr terr - but something that doesn't happen often. It is, even now, being smoothed over. The cynic in me says: look at this photo - he's 72 and she's 47. He needs someone to look after him and she needs an income. It's a marriage made in heaven, no?

I don't understand about marriage and married people. I've sat frozen in horror as couples with a 40 year shared history tore into each other in a restaurant - in public, ken, unaware of the audience watching and listening as they cursed each other out. And I have been put off dinner parties for life after listening to drunks relating how awful their marriages are: no sex any more, s/he snores, we lead separate lives, etc. It's car crash stuff. Worse even: I can't take sides in these situations. I can only either keep quiet or get up and leave. Worst of all are the end of marriage chats: I stuck it for 37 years, had a nice house/car/holidays, saw the kids settled and now I cannot stand so much as one day more with him/her.

Really? And you think someone like me is going to be sympathetic? So for decades I've been hearing how your lifestyle is normal and wonderful: hetero couple, house, 2 kids, 2 jobs (so 2 wages) and I'm the one who is out of step because I'm single and have looked after me since I was 16, but now you're planning to join me here in single-land and stand on your own two feet, possibly for the first time in your life, live alone, maybe even earn your living and you want me to feel some kind of empathy, maybe even look after you a wee bit?

What I really want to say is this is a first world problem. There's a plane still missing in the southern ocean and families who still haven't found their kids in a ferry disaster. Five families have lost their nearest and dearest in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan.

A wee bit more important maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment