Total Pageviews

Monday 21 April 2014

Hello, insomnia, my old friend!

It's 4.30am - make that 5am - and I am still awake. I've been up and about since 8.30am because The Owner and his gardener were coming by at 11 to decide how to sort out the back garden. That's how it works: when I don't need to be awake early I am. (On Wednesday the HEAPS group are going to Glasgow Cathedral and I have to be ready by 10.30 - and I bet I sleep in. Sorry in advance, Joan - my lift.) I kept myself going all day after that: ran some errands, did the ironing gawd help us, watched a couple of fairly boring TV recordings - all in the hope of making myself tired enough to sleep tonight. And here I am. I have at least one friend who has even worse insomnia than me - and all I can say is: Muriel, this is shite.

You, dear friends, may be sick of hearing about my insomnia but you're not half as sick of it as I am. After all, for me, this has been going on for 30 years.

No, I don't know why every few months I don't sleep more than a couple of hours in every 24. Or why every few years there's a period when I just don't sleep at all. And yes, I have tried every known remedy. Yesterday someone told me to try Nitol or maybe a herbal remedy. Really? I'd never have thought of that. I have tried beta blockers and anti-depressants and I kinda think if they don't work...

Is it when the clocks go forward? Or back? Don't think so. Is there something on my mind? What mind you may ask and you'd be right. I haven't worried about a damn thing since I retired 6 years ago. The family are all grown up and doing fine so no worries there. I live in a nice place I can afford with nice neighbours. My time is used properly with a bit of volunteering, a lot of reading (what I most wanted when I was working was time to read) and time with family and friends. At the moment, the sun is shining. What more does anyone need?

As they used to say on the telly, answers on a postcard...Meanwhile, my morning paper will be delivered in about 2 hours from now. Maybe I'll just stay up for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment