Total Pageviews

Saturday 8 February 2014

What is up with Tesco?

I ordered a wee lightweight hoover to have upstairs and do the stairs - my old Dyson weighs a ton - and arranged to pick it up from Click and Collect at Tesco Silverburn. I use Tesco quite a lot but mainly for online grocery shopping which comes, thank goodness, from the Renfrew shop.

Tesco Silverburn is a disgrace. Dirty, badly laid out with no thought to the customer.

The Click and Collect used to be at the main door. To make room for a dry cleaner's, key maker's and I don't remember what else, it's been moved to the bottom of the store sandwiched between Tech Support and Customer Service (don't make me laugh or we'll never get through this). Luckily I'd got a trolley when I went in. I'd never have been able to carry this large box - most of it packaging - the length of the store. The motto on the trolley park covers, by the way, is 'helping the environment'. But I digress: the assistant couldn't get her wee machine to work and spent quite a long time looking for the 'manual book' so I could sign for the hoover. I headed for the exit, found it barred off and a large security guy sitting in front of it. I asked if he could let me out, as my car was just outside. 'Sorry', he said, 'you'll have to use the main entrance'. The other end of the store, of course. 'Why?' I asked. He looked puzzled. 'Eh, company policy.' 'What policy is that?' He shrugged. Probably the most eloquent he'd been all day. But I know why. Tesco Silverburn is notorious for the amount of shoplifting that goes on and I could just see the local jakies and druggies (don't kid me on - you've got them too - every community has) legging it through that exit with their arms full of swag. Lots of poor people in Pollok. But why have a security guy there now that the exit is not in use?

On my way to the main entrance, I decided to have a coffee in the cafe. You'd think I'd know better. Dirty tables, heaped with crockery, food all over the floor, not enough staff, all looking harassed. Rotten Costa coffee. Worse than Morrison's Giffnock or Asda Govan - and that's saying something.

MInd you, I think the whole concept of Silverburn is a disaster. Very few shops for ordinary people to shop in but since Tesco is, I think, the only real supermarket and the company has a captive market, you'd think they could make a bit of an effort. I won't be going back. I'll find another place to pick up my Click and Collect stuff - or may be I'll just get it from another company that understands what service is.

No comments:

Post a Comment