Total Pageviews

Tuesday 4 February 2014

Clever NHS

I reckon I'm pretty savvy when it comes to text-speak but I've had two messages this week from my doctor's surgery - now referred to grandly as a medical centre - and I haven't been able to make any sense of either:

Message one, headed NHS-no reply:
Tma for hypertension and ? flu inj giffnock.medicalcentre@nhs.net

Phoned the medical centre. Oh yes, the nurses have been going through their records and they think it's time for your annual blood pressure check-up (tma stands for to make appointment apparently) and they also want to know if you're going to have the flu jag this winter. First of all, I have my annual MOT in June. And second of all, I have already told the practice twice I'm not having the flu jag - just as I didn't have it last year or the year before. Still, I'll show willing and arrange a hypertension visit to the nurse. The scary one, Carol Anne. The one who sends my blood pressure soaring.

Today another text message came in: this is to remind you of your appointment at 14.50 on Wednesday 05 of February...if you are unable to attend, text back CANCEL to 07800008113g49445.mjog@nhs.net
No part of this address is a mobile number. Nor is it an internet address. I've tried various arrangements of these letters and numbers. Nada. So if I need to cancel I'll have to phone the surgery - sorry, medical centre - which kind of defeats the purpose of having the technology.

What I really want to do, of course, is march right in there and say: To the meeting room, all of you! Here is the news:

If you're going on to text alerts, put a message on your website. Maybe even have a wee campaign in the surgery - medical centre - asking folk if they want text alerts and if they do get them to give you their mobile number. A lot of your patients are older, so try out the new system: send out a text alert about flu jags in November or jags needed for exotic holidays in May. And give folk time to get used to it.

Text in English. You may know what tma stands for but your patients have no idea.Text in sentences and use words, not abbreviations. If you're sending messages out to hundreds of people, you can take the time to make your message clear. It'll save time in the long run. If your message doesn't make sense or is too long or complicated in text-speak, phone the person right off. Again, it will save time in the long run.

Finally, don't get excited about computers or mobiles. Remember, there is a generation around now that has never known a world without computers. If you're lucky enough to have one of those in the medical centre, use their expertise. And above all, remember you're a MEDICAL centre. We won't judge you by your ability to text or surf the net. As long as you're competent in medical matters, we'll be happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment