Total Pageviews

Sunday 29 December 2013

Moving - let the fun begin

I've only just started getting ready to move house and it's doing my head in.

I've already lost the rag tonight because of Google's idiotic blog system which locks me out every couple of days - not a good idea when I wanted to get into the blog for a good rant!

Every agency I have to deal with has a form to fill in to do with change of address. And no, you can't fill the form in online and email it back. You have to print it off, fill it in by hand and post it or take it in. I know what that means before I even start: forms will get lost in the post, cheques for forwarding mail will get lost. I may start off thinking being there in person will prevent chaos breaking out but I'll bet it doesn't. The phone will be just as bad: messages will be garbled, names misspelled, information will not be passed on.

In the case of the Royal Bank, there are 3 separate forms for me to fill in. I've already decided I'm going to the branch to do that because experience tells me that way I'll at least get somebody's name and can then hold him or her to account when it all goes t*ts up. As it will.

The factor doesn't have a procedure for finalising my account and refunding my deposit (£500) and, given how bad they are at responding to any letter, it'll be a miracle if I get my money by summer. Of course, despite the fact I pay these bandits £120 a month in maintenance, I'll probably end up owing them money, so the deposit may never materialise.

The council tax form from East Renfrewshire Council is 5 - FIVE - pages long. I can't imagine how people without a degree manage to fill it in.

The Virgin Media website says I can transfer TV, phone and broadband online. I'll bet I can't.

Everything needs proof of identity. Renting the house across the road was bad enough. I have a passport but I don't have a driving licence with a photo - yes, I'm that old. Nor do I have printed bank statements - I bank online. Nor can I find 3 utility bills dated in the last three months - Scottish Gas is between quarters. But at least I know my credit is good, since I had to pay the letting agent to get a credit check carried out.

And, of course, despite my OCD tendencies and my endless list-making, I just know there will be one vital bit I forget in the move. And it will take me months to sort out. I wonder what it will be. Suggestions on a postcard...





No comments:

Post a Comment