Total Pageviews

Monday 10 June 2013

I hate Facebook!

I'm really fed up with FB. All this footering about by the designers doesn't seem to make it work any better. In fact, sometimes it seems to be making the site worse.

Since the new timeline came in, I can't click the Like button on anyone's posts without FB leaping up to the top of my page. I don't mind that if I've just got started but if I've been scrolling down and have already read through several pages of comments, I then have to start scrolling down again.

Now I can't add a comment to anyone's page without the same thing happening.

And since last week, I can't edit or delete anything.

The photo upload remains a mystery: the only way I can get a picture onto someone's page is to create a new album on my own page and then tag the person I want to have see the photo.

All these faults are certainly a good way to shut me up! Right now, mostly what I post are jokes. Anything else on FB is too tricky.

On my home page, the entire left hand side is now permanently occupied by comments I wrote up to 4 years ago, photos of me (FFS! This is my page - and I know what I look like!) and invitations to me to 'improve' my profile by adding lists of TV programmes and films I've seen and books I've read. What is the point of these lists? Okay, the anally retentive among you may enjoy making lists but I already belong to groups that not only list books, films and TV programmes but tell me my FB friends' opinions of them. A bit more useful, right?

Meanwhile, my profile looks like I have lived a life of utter boredom: only one of the universities I attended appears on my page. The information about where I've lived and worked mentions only Glasgow so when I'm 'friended' by someone and they ask about my past, I have to go into a long rigmarole: born in Govan, brought up and educated in Pollok, taught in Pollok, then in Islay, then in Clarkston. Then worked in Argyll, travelling to aw the airts from a flat in Sandbank; then worked in Kilmarnock. Retired five years now. (And, of course, there's no way to mention of my volunteering activities on FB.) Oh, and I once lived for a year in France and also spent some time in Moscow learning Russian. These profiles are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I look at people's profiles when they ask to friend me and I've turned down quite a few potential friends because they have no photo on their page so no clue to their age (dates of birth are routinely not given nowadays), no sign of where they live or what they do/did for a living. If I see no link between them and me, I don't friend them.

So since FB seems to have a page for everything and everyone, where is the FB page that lets us make suggestions for improving the service? Yes, I know FB is 'free' but we have to sift through dozens of mostly crap adverts on the new timeline - and I reckon getting our time and attention should be payment enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment