Total Pageviews

Friday 26 June 2015

The 10-minute job

I'm mid-flitting now. The upstairs bedrooms are packed up. Today was meant to be an easy day, just packing up the bathroom. It was going to be a '10-minute job'. Three hours later, I've just sat down.

Step one: empty the plastic caddy which is going to charity (because I have a nice new bathroom with loadsa storage):



I set up a packing box and got 4 plastic bags and started separating the stuff in the caddy into 4 lots: stuff in use, spare supplies, medicines, stuff to go in the bin. It didn't take long to discover something clear had spilled in the bottom drawer of the caddy. Not really smelly but very, very sticky. It took a while to clean the stuff in the drawer. There were some nice toiletries from Clinique and Occitan that I didn't want to just chuck out. I don't think I've worked out where the goo came from. There's a chance I'll find out yet...

Took the drawer downstairs and washed it out in the kitchen sink. It was so gooey, I ended up using a lot of washing up liquid. Went back upstairs, finished packing the box, labelled it and decided to take the caddy downstairs. A wheel came off halfway down. It took me a while to sort that.

Wiped down the caddy and decided to make a space in the kitchen/diner to store all the stuff that's going to charity. I suddenly realised I was missing a bookcase and a rug. They're still in storage. Checked my diary: they don't come out of storage till the flitting but the charity is booked to uplift the stuff before the flitting. Spent a jolly half hour on the phone trying to rearrange the uplift. I've realised that I have far too many ornaments. Asked on the phone if the charity is in the market for ornaments for its shop. No. They'll take everyday dishes, mugs and glasses for starter homes though. My sister and I can separate them out tomorrow when we pack up the kitchen/diner.

Spent another half hour phoning a couple of charity shops asking if they want some quite nice ornaments, mostly picked up from the Barras and antique shops. They might even be able to sell them on Ebay. One charity wants to come and see them, so I can't pack them yet. I think I might have complicated things here.

Never mind - onward and upward! 11 days till the flitting. Then all I have to do is clean this place up so I get my deposit back and then unpack my stuff in the new flat.

Wine time! Happy Friday, everybody!


No comments:

Post a Comment