Total Pageviews

Thursday 7 August 2014

I'm not doing that again!

I was sitting looking at my bramble bush tonight:
Pretty healthy. Some nice berries on it already. Then my mind wandered and I had to remind myself: as a representative of the good life, I'm a total disaster. 

Yes, I've made jam from brambles in the past. It was awful. It took forever to pick the brambles and I got jagged all over, the juice dripped all over the kitchen floor and the jam had more sugar than a supermarket readymeal. I spent several winters wishing I'd just bought a jar with Bonne Maman on it - or even a jar of Lidl's peach jam at a third of the cost. So never again. 


That also goes for quiche. I used to make my own, usually with wholemeal flour which is, of course, good for you. Have you ever tasted pastry made with wholemeal flour? If they're ever looking for something to seal an exploding nuclear power station with, that's what I would recommend. 

Likewise I am never making scones again. The trouble with making scones is it's only economical if you make a dozen at a time (in fact, my recipe produces 12 big ones and 2 wee ones) and you know what happens then: you eat them! 

So I will pick the berries off my bramble bush and eat them, possibly in a wee mix with strawberries and raspberries and a red wine marinade. Instead of quiche, I'll buy a pizza base (ultra-thin, Roma type), add a fried egg and to make sure I have one of my five a day top it off with some mushrooms. 

The scones I will get from Whole Foods. I once spent a happy five minutes watching their baker kneading the scone dough - nae wonder their scones are so light and airy - they're pummelled tae bits! They have to rise - resistance is futile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment