Total Pageviews

Thursday 12 June 2014

Another Govan Story

I wasn't going to write up any more of my observations on modern Govan, because I don't want to depict the folk of my home borough as pathetic losers. But I'm fed up with the constant chat about 'inequality' and especially about 'welfare scroungers,' so here's another one for you.

It's not the first time I've described the cafes in Govan as an extension of the social services. Today, Alex and I were having our usual mid-afternoon roll n square with coffee when we noticed a kefuffle at the door. The two women who work in the cafe had spotted one of their regulars keeling over in the street and had gone out to help. They just about carried him in and sat him down.

His name is George. He could be any age between 50 and 75. In Govan it's hard to tell what age some men are. George is wee and skinny as a rake and walks with a stick. He has that bent over walk of very old people but it could just be he's younger and worn out from years of manual work. According to the women in the cafe, he has his breakfast there near enough every day and he's quiet, doesn't complain about anything, and when he didn't turn up this morning they sent out messages that they were wondering where he was. One of them went to get him tea and a roll n scrambled egg, his favourite. He leaned over the cafe table and started to cry. There is nothing worse than seeing an old person cry like that. Big sad sobs came out of him.

Alex and I were about to leave so I went and paid  for our snack - it was my turn. I said to the woman who took my money that I hoped George was ok. She nodded. He's run out of money, she said. O god, said I. It's awright, she said. We'll see him ok.

Earlier on, Alex and I had popped into Harry's hardware shop on Paisley Road West in Ibrox. My sister wanted a new kitchen timer and I was looking for a bottle brush. Harry's is a wonderful shop. He stocks everything - and if he doesn't have what you want he'll get it for you for tomorrow. Harry and his staff are always polite to customers, especially the older ones and more especially the 'care in the community' ones. There are usually a couple of people stacking shelves in the shop, tidying up or pricing new stock. I don't know if Harry pays them or if they're just there passing the time. Besides them, there are always a couple of very elderly people sitting about in the warm, drinking mugs of tea and eating chocolate biscuits.

So maybe it's not just the cafes that are keeping the community going in Govan. Human kindness is a wonderful thing. But I wish George's pension was enough for him to live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment